21 September 2009

I remember

As the rain continues to come down today I cannot get my Mom out of my mind. Today is the day that 3 years ago she lost her life to cancer. The memories, although it has been 3 years, are raw and I find myself desperately trying to think past the hard end. Those last hours of my Mom's life haunt me and I wonder why I must always think of those. So today I will write about all the good, wonderful things that I remember. Here goes...


~ I remember being about 4 years old and watching my brothers and sisters leave for school and thinking, "I don't want to stay here with Mom". But in all honesty, I used to have so much fun. She would always take me to the roller rink. I mean what is cooler than that? I was a pretty awesome roller skater too :) thanks Mom!!

~ I remember being upset as a child and my mom holding me, and how that was the best and most comforting place in the world.

~ I remember my older sister and I playing on all boys soccer teams and hating it, and my Mom starting and coaching the first girls soccer team in our town in Michigan. You rock Mom!!

~ I remember my Mom always encouraging us to "look it up in the dictionary". As a result, I was a super speller in the 3rd grade ;)

~ I remember my Mom making pies and with the extra crust dough she would sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar and make them just for us...yummy!!

~ I remember in high school, breaking my finger in a soccer game (I know, I know, you are not supposed to use your hands) and my mom taking me for an x-ray. I had a vocabulary test that day and so as we waited, my Mom took my note cards and quizzed me. She knew every word, if they were a noun, verb, etc and the exact definition. I was in such awe of her...she really was so amazing.

~ I remember my Mom standing up for me to my horrible geometry teacher in high school. Of course I did nothing wrong, was an angel, and should not have been sent to the Principal's office.

~ I remember all the scarves my mom made for me over the years and how they smelled like her. Oh how I wish they still did. I would give anything for that smell. It was the best!!


~ I remember how my mom pretty much knew the answer to every question on Jeopardy. We always told her she should go on it but she used to always say that she would not be able to hit the button fast enough to answer any questions. Should have had Bets go on and press the button for her ;)

~ I remember the amazing cook my Mom was and how when I started cooking my own meals on thanksgiving I would always always call her for cooking questions and she would answer the phone, "Sarah's house of cooking". I secretly think she loved it.

~ I remember she and my dad stealing kisses in the kitchen. We hated it growing up but looking back I absolutely love that memory.

~ I remember her strength, courage, and faith throughout her fight with cancer.

~ I remember becoming a mom myself and thinking how amazing my Mom was for doing this 5 times.

I could keep going on forever and these are just a few of the fond memories I have of her. Most importantly, I remember my Mom. As hard as it is to face the fact that she is really gone, thinking of all the good things makes it seem a little more bearable. Love you Mom!!!!

11 comments:

  1. I remember how when i used to stay home with Mom, we used to watch "The Love Boat" and "Cagney and Lacey". but as you know, i'm far less cordinated then you are, so the roller rink may not have been a safe place for me! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous memories you have of your mom and wonderful way you are about to honor her with your big walk! she was an amazing lady! I wish I could have spent more time with her. Thanks for sharing her with us today! Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, I am so proud of you! Yes, what great memories and yes I did and am crying as I type this. She was a remarkable women in so many ways and I miss her so much, I do go on, as she told me I must, because of you and your sisters and brothers, and know of course our grandbabies. As Beckett grows, please tell him of his "memu", and just how much she would have loved him and I am sure does from haven. Keep up the great work, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited you've started a blog! Margaret, this post was beautiful. I am crying and I never even knew your mom. She sounds wonderful and I love that you're doing this walk in October. What a great tribute. Thinking of you today...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, this had me tearing up! I feel so lucky to have known your Mom Margaret. And, I see her again and again living each day with Guy. They are so much alike in some ways. I know your mom would be so impressed with the mother you are. And I know, Addie, Penelope and Beckett would be her joy. She's taking care of all of them now. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing that, Margaret! What a testimony to your wonderful mother. With such an amazing example, it is no wonder being a mom comes so naturally to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margaret I an SO glad you finally started a blog! Now I can keep you with you guys and see that beautiful baby boy as he grows. This is the best post I've ever read and I am in awe of how awesome your Mom was. What an honor for her to have her daughter say such beautiful things about her. I think that is the best gift a parent can get.
    Keep up the good work on the training! Sounds like you are kickin butt! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margaret!!! I did not know you had a blog! And what a wonderful first post for me to read. Those memories are so precious to have thank you for sharing!! I think you had an excellent teacher of how to be an AWESOME mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much everyone!! Lots of love to all of you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found you! I am so glad you have started a blog I miss all you Boone kids dearly.

    MUAH!
    Lisser

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margeret, I just discovered your blog from Sundays! What a beautiful post, your Mother sounds like she was such an amazing woman. Thank you so much for sharing your memories. I feel blessed by her through your words, and wish I could have known her and been able to call "Sarah's house of cooking"! I love that you had such a fabulous example and are such a fabulous mom yourself because of your mom! lots of love!!!

    ReplyDelete